The qualifications and general requirements for a person to apply for citizenship are:
- At least 18 years of age;
- Contribute as required towards the economic development of Malta (explained below);
- Acquire property in Malta that holds a minimum value of €350,000 or take on lease a property for a minimum annual rent of €16,000 and retain such property so acquired or leased for a minimum of 5 years;
- Invest a minimum of €150,000 in stocks, bonds or other investment vehicles and hold such investment for a period not less than 5 years;
- Maintain a global health insurance coverage (policy needs to cover the main applicant and dependants);
- Satisfy the Due Diligence process carried out by the Government of Malta;
- Establish a genuine link with Malta through a residency period.
The Contribution to the National Development and Social Fund
The contribution of the main applicant shall be that of €650,000 of which a payment of €10,000 is remitted as a non-refundable deposit, prior to the submission of the application. The contribution balance is payable once the letter of Approval in Principle is issued.
A main applicant may include dependants in the citizenship application. The following additional fees shall be paid accordingly:
- Spouse: €25,000
- Each Dependant child below 17 years of age: €25,000
- Each Dependant child (unmarried) aged between 18 and 26 years: €50,000
- Each Dependant aged 55 years or over: €50,000
All individuals applying for citizenship must possess good health, have no contagious ailments, and must have a clean police conduct. Thorough background checks shall be completed for both applicant and dependants, to further ensure this.
Schedule of Fees
The following additional fees shall also be payable under each application.
Due Diligence Fees:
- Main Applicant: €7,500
- Spouse: €5,000
- Each Dependant child aged between 13 and 17 years: €3,000
- Each Dependant child (unmarried) aged between 18 and 26 years: €5,000
- Each Dependant over the age of 55 years: €5,000
Passport Fees: €500 per person
Bank Charges: €200 per application
Due Diligence fees and Bank Charges are not refundable. Passport fees are refundable in cases where passports have not been applied for.